More geography trivia? Why not? This week, we’ve got our first episode from a country in Africa, South Africa Trivia. It’s a beautiful place with a dark history and bright future. So, here we go with thirty trivia questions about the country, its history, geography, and people.
When you’re all finished with South Africa Trivia, take a moment to leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Podchaser, and Spotify. The show is growing by leaps and bounds. Thanks for your support!
Get Dorkier, Geekier, & Nerdier
- Leave us a review
- Extra Credit podcasts and videos
- More episodes like this one
- Previous episodes
- Episode transcript
- Episode feedback
We Need Your Reviews
Extra Credit Podcasts & Videos
More Like This Episode
Going around the world for this one.
Hey travelers, I’m your host Brian Rollins and this is Episode 225 of the Dorky, Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. For our latest country episode, we’ve got South Africa trivia. Thirty questions about the country, its people, and its history.
If you’d like to learn more about the show, visit DorkyGeekyNerdy.com.
And now, on with the questions.
The Dorky Round
- What TV show visited South Africa and discovered that elephants really are afraid of mice?
- April 27, 1994, marked the end of what system of laws in South Africa?
- What comedian, from South Africa, hosted The Daily Show from 2015 to 2022?
- Hailing from Benoni, what actress won a best actress Oscar for her role in 2003’s Monster?
- Beginning in 1994 and through 1999, what former political prisoner became President of South Africa?
- What is the largest city in South Africa?
- What South African religious leader won the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize?
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- What is the currency of South Africa?
The South African Rand
- In 2010, South Africa played host to what international sporting event?
The FIFA World Cup.
- What Indian activist and leader would spend 20 formative years in South Africa starting in 1893?
The Geeky Round
- The Bloukrans Bridge is the highest bridge for what adventurous activity?
- What country is completely landlocked inside South Africa?
- What fantasy author was born in Bloemfontein in 1892?
- Set in South Africa, what 2009 sci-fi film was based on the short film Alive in Joburg?
- At the end of the 19th Century, the British Empire fought a war with what independent republic in southern Africa?
The Boer Republic. The war was bloody and over 27,000 women & children died in British concentration camps.
- South Africa has three capitals. Which is the administrative capital, home to the Executive branch of government?
- What is the primary language of most South Africans?
Zulu. It’s the first language of 22% of the nation.
- The language, Afrikaans, is derived from what European language?
- Serving as its legislative capital, what is the oldest city in South Africa?
- What is the Internet TLD for South Africa?
The Nerdy Round
- Found in South Africa, what is the world’s largest reptile?
Leatherback Sea Turtle
- Also found in South Africa, what is the world’s smallest mammal?
The Least Dwarf Shrew
- Dating more than 160,000 years old, the oldest what were found in South Africa?
- How many official languages does South Africa have?
Eleven, more than any other nation.
- What does Apartheid translate to in English?
- What South African filmmaker directed District 9, Elysium, and Chappie?
- Nelson Mandela shared the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize with what South African leader?
F.W. de Klerk
- One of the largest game preserves in Africa, what was South Africa’s first national park?
Kruger National Park
- South Africa shares its northwesternmost border with what nation?
- Before it was rechristened the Cape of Good Hope, what was it called?
Cabo das Tormentas or Cape of Storms. Branding is important.
And that’s it for South Africa Trivia. I know I have a few listeners from there, so I’m curious to hear what you think. For the rest of you, I hope you learned something. My daughter spent time in South Africa and she loved it. She’s also a zookeeper, so it’s something right up her alley.
I’ll be back here next week with another episode. Here’s a little clue:
What 2017 movie was the last that Carrie Fischer was directly involved with?
Not too tough, considering the show’s history, right? See you here next Wednesday.
This has been episode 225 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast.
The theme music is by Jason Shaw. You can find him at Audionautix.com.
This podcast is written, produced, and hosted by me, Brian Rollins. My other work, including audiobooks, can be found at TheVoicesInMyHead.com.
Thanks for listening.
Copyright 2019-2023 by Brian Rollins
Permission granted to redistribute audio but only if left unaltered. Permission denied for use in AI training.