Gather ‘round, kids it’s time for some trivia. Howdy gang. Welcome to episode 191 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. This week, we’re hitting a state that several members of my family tree have called home, Arkansas. You know you want some Arkansas Trivia.
When you’re done with Arkansas Trivia, please take a minute to leave us a review on any of the various directories out there. We need your support to keep growing.
Get Dorkier, Geekier, & Nerdier
- Leave us a review
- Extra Credit podcasts and videos
- More episodes like this one
- Previous episodes
- Episode transcript
- Episode feedback
We Need Your Reviews
Extra Credit Podcasts & Videos
- The AR History Podcast
- Blackbelt Voices
- The Movement That Never Was: A People’s Guide to Anti-Racism in the South and Arkansas
More Like This Episode
Gather ‘round, kids it’s time for some trivia.
Howdy gang. Welcome to episode 191 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. This week, we’re hitting a state that several members of my family tree have called home, Arkansas.
As always, we’ve got three rounds of ten questions each. I ask, you answer, then we’ll settle up on the score. Speaking of scoring, if you’re looking for rules, visit the show’s website, DorkyGeekyNerdy.com. The rules aren’t absolute. You can totally come up with your own.
Before we dive in, I want to give a shout out to Laurel Anne. She’s our second supporter of the show. I really appreciate your support and I’m glad you’re listening. If you want to join Matthew and Laurel Anne, check out our support page, DorkyGeekyNerdy.com/support.
And with that, let’s dive in.
The Dorky Round
- Set in Arkansas, what 1969 western starred John Wayne? Hint: It was remade in 2010 with Jeff Bridges
- What is the capital (and largest city) of Arkansas?
- Who is the only US President from Arkansas?
- What state borders Arkansas to the South?
- What massive retailer is headquartered in Bentonville, AR?
- What 1991 movie began in Arkansas and starred Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis?
Thelma and Louise
- What state borders Arkansas to the North?
- What river, nearly 1,500 miles long, begins in Colorado and runs through Kansas, Oklahoma, and finally Arkansas?
The Arkansas River from which the state gets its name.
- From 1874 to 1967, every governor of Arkansas belonged to what political party?
The Democratic Party.
- Arkansas was added to the US in what land acquisition?
The Louisiana Purchase
The Geeky Round
- What writer and lawyer’s first novel was A Time To Kill, but had his first bestseller with The Firm?
John Grisham from Jonesboro, AR
- What actor, from Hot Springs, made it big with his independent film, Sling Blade?
Billy Bob Thornton
- What is the postal abbreviation for Arkansas?
- Born in Forrest City, what soul singer had hits with Take Me to the River, I’m Still in Love With You”, and Let’s Stay Together?
- Born in Springdale, AR, what Missouri Senator was photographed raising a fist in solidarity with the January 6th rioters?
Josh Hawley. He was later caught on video running from the same crowd.
- What singer, songwriter, and actor had hits like Rhinestone Cowboy and provided the voice of Chanticleer in 1991’s Rock-a-Doodle?
- What two states border Arkansas to the West?
Oklahoma and Texas
- What is the mascot for the University of Arkansas?
The Razorbacks. For those not in the know, a razorback is type of feral pig.
- Arkansas is the largest producer of what grain in the US?
- Hattie Caraway was the first woman to serve a full term as what?
US Senator. First elected in 1932 Hattie Caraway served Arkansas as Senator for 14 years.
The Nerdy Round
- The Little Rock Nine were blocked from entering Little Rock Central High School by then-governor Orval Faubus following what landmark Supreme Court ruling?
Brown v Board of Education. It outlawed racial segregation in 1954.
- What singer-songwriter was born Kingland, AR in 1932 and sold more than 90 million records worldwide?
- Born in Hamburg, AR, what NBA player won 6 national titles with the Chicago Bulls? Hint: It’s not Michael Jordan.
- What five-star general from Arkansas was awarded the Medal of Honor for his service in the Philippines during World War II?
- Born in Schaal, AR, who was the first African American Surgeon General of the United States?
Vice Admiral Joycelyn Elders
- What Arkansas Senator from 1945 to 1974 opposed Joseph McCarthy’s witchhunt and created a grant program that bears his name to this day?
J. William Fulbright
- What 722-mile river begins in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas, loops through Missouri before ending at the Mississippi River near Batesville, AR?
The White River
- What Arkansas city is named after a town in Tennessee which was named for a town in North Carolina which was named after a French General?
Fayetteville. Whose name can be traced back to General Lafayette, hero of both the American and French Revolutions.
- Nicknamed ‘Uncle Sam’, North America’s largest what was found in Arkansas in 1924?
Diamond. It weighed 40.23 carats.
- Though they’re all over the place now, Walmart began in what town?
And that’s the last of our Arkansas questions. Want more? Here’s some bonus facts:
- Arkansas is the 25th state. As such, they have 25 stars on their flag.
- As I teased in our last episode, it’s the only US state with a working diamond mine.
- Before he was President, Bill Clinton served two terms as Governor of Arkansas and was a Rhodes Scholar.
- The state ranks 29th in area and 33rd in population
I’ve driven through Arkansas a few times. What’s a must-see when I get there? Let me know at our website or via Facebook or Twitter. We’ll be back again next week with another set of questions. Here’s a clue:
What state had the first hydroelectric plant in the world?
There’s something to stew over. See you back here next Wednesday.
This has been episode 191 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia podcast. The theme music is by Jason Shaw at Audionautix.com.
This podcast is hosted, written, and produced by me, Brian Rollins. You can find me at TheVoicesInMyHead.com.
Thanks for listening.
Copyright 2019-2022 by Brian Rollins
Permission granted to redistribute audio but only if left unaltered.Follow the show: