If you’ve ever held up your hand and pointed to it to indicate where you were born, you’re probably from Michigan. Well, this week we’ve got you covered with some Michigan Trivia.
When you’re done with Michigan Trivia, remember that there’s more! We want you to get the most out of every episode. So scroll down and check out our bonus content like Extra Credit podcasts, other episodes, and the shows annotated transcript.
If you’re able, please consider supporting the show. We want to keep DGN going for years to come and the more support it gets, the more content I can put out! We can put out more episodes like this one on more than just Michigan Trivia.
Get Dorkier, Geekier, & Nerdier
- Leave us a review
- Extra Credit podcasts and videos
- More episodes like this one
- Previous episodes
- Episode transcript
- Episode feedback
We Need Your Reviews
Extra Credit Podcasts & Videos
More Like This Episode
If you’ve ever held up your hand and pointed to it to indicate where you were born, you’re probably from Michigan.
Hey gang, I’m your host Brian Rollins and this is episode 189 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. This week, we’ve got 30 questions all about Michigan Trivia.
If you’re new, welcome aboard. Every week we offer up new questions on a new topic. This season we’re covering each of the 50 US states. If you’re not from the US, fear not. We mix in a lot of pop culture questions along with the geography and history.
That covers our basics, so why don’t we get things started with…
The Dorky Round
- What Michigan-based company gives us Rice Krispies and Frosted Flakes?
- Divided by water, what Canadian province comes close to, but never quite touches Michigan?
- Rapper Eminem starred in what 2002 film set in Michigan?
- Who was both the host of American Top 40 and was the original voice of Shaggy on Scooby-Doo?
- Born in Davison, MI, what filmmaker made waves with films like Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11?
- What Michigan-born director has films like The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, and Bram Stoker’s Dracula on his resume?
Francis Ford Coppola
- What 1987 movie starred Peter Weller as the titular law enforcement officer in a dystopian Detroit?
- What SNL alum from Michigan paired with Chris Farley in Black Sheep and Tommy Boy?
- What Michigan-born actor had to pass on Indiana Jones because the producers of Magnum PI would not release him?
- What is the largest city in Michigan?
The Geeky Round
- What actor from Wyandotte, MI, was both The Six-Million Dollar Man and The Fall Guy?
- What five-mile long suspension bridge connects the Upper and Lower peninsulas?
The Mackinac Bridge
- What is the capital of Michigan?
- What R-Rated 1999 comedy was set in the fictional town of East Great Falls, MI?
American Pie. We never looked at baked goods or flutes the same way again.
- What state borders Michigan’s upper peninsula?
- We mentioned Michael Moore earlier, what was his first film? Hint it takes place in Michigan.
Roger & Me
- What Michigander was one of the original cast members of Saturday Night Live and married Gene Wilder in 1984?
- What actor and star of Hart-to-Hart was listed as a person of interest in the death of Natalie Wood, who he married twice?
- What singer was a founding member of The Eagles but would also have solo hits with Smuggler’s Blues and The Heat is On?
Glenn Frey from Detroit
- Born in Detroit, what retired neurosurgeon ran for President in 2016 but settled for being Secretary of Housing and Urban Development?
Ben Carson. While secretary, he exceeded his office decorating budget by a factor of six.
The Nerdy Round
- What is the busiest international border crossing in North America?
The Ambassador Bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor, ON.
- What Michigan town is known as Cereal City?
Battle Creek, MI
- What company, known for Chevrolet, Buick, and Pontiac, lost the top spot as auto manufacturer to Toyota in 2008?
- What does the name, Michigan, mean?
In the native Chippewa language, it means ‘large lake’.
- Michigan touches how many of the Great Lakes?
Four of the five lakes
- What two states border Michigan’s lower peninsula to the South?
Indiana and Ohio
- What rock singer from Michigan was born Vincent Damon Furnier but now uses the name of his old band?
- What filmmaker from Royal Oak would direct a number of horror films and superhero movies, including 1990’s Darkman?
Sam Raimi. Of course he would direct bigger superhero movies like three Spider-Man films and this year’s Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.
- What’s unique about the Michigan ZIP code, 48222?
It’s the only floating ZIP code in the US. It’s for mail to be delivered to ships at port there.
- What televangelist was convicted of fraud and conspiracy charges in 1989?
Jim Bakker. He would only serve 5 years on his initial 45 year sentence.
And that’s all the time we have for Michigan. Want some bonus facts?
- Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline of any US state. It has the second-longest coastline of any state (after Alaska).
- More than 40% of the state is covered in water, more than any other US state.
- Michigan is home to the highest auto insurance rates in the US.
- Michigan has over 36,000 miles of rivers.
And that’s it. If you’re a Michigander, please let me know what’s awesome about your state and what folks need to see when they visit.
We’ll be back again next week with yet another state. Here’s a clue for you:
In what state will you find the art installation known as Carhenge?
There’s a weird one for you. Good luck. If you can’t figure it out, don’t fret. You’ll find out next Wednesday.
This has been episode 189 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast.
The theme music has been by Jason Shaw at Audionautix.com.
The show was written, produced, and hosted by me, Brian Rollins. You can find me at TheVoicesInMyHead.com.
Thanks for listening.
Copyright 2019-2023 by Brian Rollins
Permission granted to redistribute audio but only if left unaltered. Permission denied for use in AI training.