It was inevitable that we’d get here. We’ve done other decades, so why not have Quotable 1960s Trivia?
Well, worry no more. (Or start worrying, if you don’t know the 60s). First round are quotes from 1960s movies. Second round are quotes from TV shows that began in the 1960s. The final round are quotes said in the 1960s by celebrities or politicians.
When you’re done with your quotable 1960s trivia, take a sec to fill out our super-short, two question survey located below.
You can also use our episode transcript to run your own personal version of Dorky Geeky Nerdy. Send us a photo of your trivia group!
This week, we’re featuring a promo for the Super Serious 616 podcast.
Super Serious is a podcast that asks, “What would it be like to live through the 616 Marvel Universe as it was happening”.
The hosts, Mike and Ed, speak in modern vernacular, but otherwise live in the world of the early Silver Age of Marvel Comics. The first episode takes place in November 1961. The Thing and the Human Torch have just been spotted in the city, but no one knows who or what they are. Following episodes explore the ramification to the world of subsequent comic issues. The commentators know as much about what is happening as any intelligent outside observer. And a lot starts happening very fast!
We talk about what the real world consequences would be for this super human action (like when Giganto destroys lower Manhattan) and theorize on what is going on that we do not know about (“If these people got super powers by going into space, shouldn’t we send more people into space to create a super human army? If we don’t, won’t the Russians do it?). We deal with issues the comics do not normally cover (“Is Iron Man joining the Avengers a good use of Stark Corp shareholder capital?”) and predict what could happen next (“Unstable molecules are likely to be the next big fashion trend!).
Extra Credit Podcasts & Videos
More Like This Episode
Well, it was inevitable that we’d get here.
Hey there, this is episode 128 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. I’m your host, Brian Rollins and this week, we’re doing quotes from the 1960s. We’ve done the 70s and 80s and it’s only fair we visit the decade of long hair, social revolution, and Vietnam.
Like the 1970s episode, each round will have quotes from a different area. The Dorky round will be quotes from movies. The Geeky round will be quotes from TV shows. And, lastly, the Nerdy round will feature quotes from real-world people. I’ll give you the quote, you just tell me where it comes from.
That’s it for starters, so let’s start off the show with…
The Dorky Round
These are quotes from 1960s movies.
1. Well, a boy's best friend is his mother.
2. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
3. You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
4. I'm not hurt at all. Didn't you know? They can only kill me with a golden bullet.
5. Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
6. Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me!
7. Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He's fired rockets at the Moon, split the atom, achieved miracles in every field of human endeavor… except crime!
8. One of the disadvantages of being a Patrician is that occasionally you are obliged to act like one.
9. You know how Sister Berthe always makes me kiss the floor after we've had a disagreement? Well, lately I've taken to kissing the floor whenever I see her coming, just to save time.
10. A girl can't read that sort of thing without her lipstick.
The Geeky Round
These are quotes from 1960s TV shows.
1. It's not fair… that's not fair at all… there was time now!
2. There's no such thing as the unknown- only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.
3. I work hard all day, too, and what do I get? A lot of yak from you. You at least get out everyday, see things, talk to people. I never get out of this cave.
4. What's the matter, haven't you ever seen a man take off a dress before?
5. Somebody… down there… likes me!
6. Sorry about that, Chief.
7. You ain't playing with a full deck, Eunice. I think somebody blew your pilot light out!
8. As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Good luck, Jim. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.
9. It's just like my Aunt Agnes used to say…
10. Schultz! Close the gates! The War is back on!
The Nerdy Round
These are real-world quotes from celebrities, activists, and world leaders in the 1960s.
1. Turn on, tune in, drop out.
2. In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes.
3. I have decided to stick to love…Hate is too great a burden to bear.
4. Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
5. We're more popular than Jesus, now; I don't know which will go first, rock and roll or Christianity.
6. You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
7. The only way to support a revolution is to make your own.
8. I once said, 'We will bury you,' and I got into trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.
9. Let us close the springs of racial poison. Let us pray for wise and understanding hearts. Let us lay aside irrelevant differences and make our Nation whole.
10. A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.
And that’s it, folks. I hope you had fun. The 60s were a colorful period and something worth studying when you’re looking for stories of social change.
I’ll be back again next week with more trivia questions. Here’s a clue for you to ponder in the meantime.
What European nation traces its founding to the year 500 with the reign of Clovis I?
It’s a travel episode. And one to a place I’ve visited (and would love to see again). A bonus clue? Take a look at what date next Wednesday falls on.
That’s it for me. This has been episode 128 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast. The music has been by Jason Shaw at Audionautix.com. I’m your host, Brian Rollins.
Thanks for listening.
Hosted & Written by Brian Rollins
Music by Jason Shaw
Copyright 2019-2023 by Brian Rollins
Permission granted to redistribute audio but only if left unaltered. Permission denied for use in AI training.