All right troops. Line up for inspection. It’s trivia time. Since November 11th is Veterans’ Day or Armistice Day, I thought a trio of war trivia episodes would be in order. These three have all been requested over the last 5 years and I’m glad to finally have them on paper (so to speak). We start off with Korean War Trivia. Of the many 20th Century wars, this seems to be the forgotten one with little information about it. So, you’ve got your work cut out for you.
When you are done with Korean War Trivia, check out our other episodes. And subscribe to the podcast to get more updates and episodes.
Get Dorkier, Geekier, & Nerdier
- Leave us a review
- Extra Credit podcasts and videos
- More episodes like this one
- Previous episodes
- Episode transcript
- Episode feedback
We Need Your Reviews
Extra Credit Podcasts & Videos
More Like This Episode
All right troops. Line up for inspection. It’s trivia time. Since November 11 is Veterans’ Day or Armistace Day, I thought a trio of war trivia episodes would be in order. These three have all been requested over the last 5 years and I’m glad to finally have them on paper (so to speak). We start off with Korean War Trivia. Of the many 20th Century wars, this seems to be the forgotten one with little information about it. So, you’ve got your work cut out for you.
As always, Dorky Geeky Nerdy has three rounds of ten questions each. I ask the question, you get a timer, then we sort things out. OK?
If you need rules or scorecards, visit DorkyGeekyNerdy.com.
I think that’s enough prep work, let’s start the show.
The Dorky Round
- What television comedy was set during the Korean War and ran from 1972 to 1983?
a. MASH. The show lasted eight years longer than the war itself.
- Korea was split into North & South following which war?
a. World War II
- Which country instigated the Korean War?
a. North Korea. They invaded the south on June 25, 1950.
- What organization, disbanded in 1947, was reformed to entertain the troops in Korea?
a. The United Service Organizations. Better known as the USO.
- Who was US President during the start of the Korean War?
a. Harry S Truman
- Who was US President at the end of the Korean War?
a. Dwight D Eisenhower
- What two nations aided North Korea during the war?
a. China and the Soviet Union
- What Korean War vet would go on to become the first American in space?
a. John Glenn
- What star of Maverick and The Rockford Files received two Purple Hearts during the Korean War?
a. James Garner
- 131 of what type of military distinction were awarded to US troops during the Korean War?
a. Medals of Honor
The Geeky Round
- The Bodo League Massacre happened when who was rounded up in South Korea?
a. Communists (or suspected Communists)
- From 1910 to 1945, what country occupied Korea?
- Frank Sinatra and Laurance Harvey play Korean War vets in what psychological thriller released in 1962?
a. The Manchurian Candidate
- What is the name of the strip of land that separates the two Korean nations?
a. The Korean Demilitarized Zone or DMZ.
- What 1970 movie, set during the war, starred Donald Sutherland and Eliott Gould?
a. MASH. People sometimes forget there was a movie (and a book) before the show.
- Born Maurice Micklewhite Jr., what British actor served with the 1st Battallion Royal Fusiliers?
a. Sir Michael Caine
- What future astronaut had to eject from his F9F Panther over Korea in 1951?
a. Neil Armstrong
- What other Apollo astronaut was shipped off to Korea, flew an F-86 Sabre, and earned a Distinguished Flying Cross for shooting two Soviet-made MiGs?
a. Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin
- Before becoming Johnny Carson’s sidekick for decades, who won six air medals flying 85 artillery-spotting missions over enemy lines?
a. Ed McMahon
- Immortalized at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, what kind of animal was Sgt Reckless?
a. A horse. The mare brough ammunition to the soldiers and carried wounded men off the battlefield.
The Nerdy Round
- Who was the leader of North Korea during the war?
a. Kim Il Sung
- Though comprised mostly of US military, what force acted to defend South Korea during the war?
a. The United Nations Command or UNC
- Who commanded the UNC during the start of the war?
a. General Douglas MacArthur
- Rounded to the nearest million, how many casualties were there during the war?
a. Three million. Most of which were civilians.
- What countries signed the Korean Armistice Agreement in 1953?
a. China and North Korea. The UN also signed. South Korea never signed the treaty.
- Who was the leader of South Korea during the war?
a. Syngman Rhee. He was president of South Korea from 1948 to 1960. He was that nation’s first president.
- 50,000 to 90,000 South Korean troops died from what during the National Defense Corps Incident?
a. Starvation. Embezzled funds led to troops not being supplied food in the winter of 1951.
- Before he was heard coast-to-coast, what DJ and voice actor was drafted while studying Wayne State University?
a. Casey Kasem
- What country music legend spent the Korean War in Germany where he worked as a high-speed Morse Code intercept operator?
a. Johnny Cash. One of his intercepts was the announcement of Joseph Stalin’s death
- Who created the 1951 painting, Massacre in Korea?
a. Pablo Picasso. It depicts the mass killing carried out by North Koreans, South Koreans, and American forces in Sinchon.
And we’re back safe on home soil. How did you do? Not an easy subject, but something worth studying, if you’re in 20th Century history.
I’ll have another war trivia episode next week. Here’s hint:
Locals refer to what conflict as the ‘Resistance War against America’?
I’ll see you back here next Wednesday.
This was episode 249 of the Dorky Geeky Nerdy Trivia Podcast.
The theme music was provided by Jason Shaw of Audionautix.com.
This podcast is written, produced, and hosted by me, Brian Rollins. Come find out what else I’m up to at TheVoicesInMyHead.com.
Thanks for listening.
Copyright 2019-2023 by Brian Rollins
Permission granted to redistribute audio but only if left unaltered. Permission denied for use in AI training.